Total Pageviews

Sunday, February 18, 2007

40 Days

As of today I have 40 Days left in the mission. In South Africa the day when a soldier has only forty days left on a deployment is significant. Usually it is accompanied by a party, but I think this one will be low-key.

I feel like I have come some distance in accomplishing a task. My goal was to make a difference and I think with this website I may have helped in doing that. The task however is not yet completed and may not be for some time to come. If we are to achieve a situation in Darfur where people can live freely in their own country with no significant fear, a lot of attitudes still have to be changed.

If a world based on love was what we wanted there would be no problems, but it is an
unfortunate reality that civilisations live their lives based on usually narrow-minded beliefs where they try to find differences between themselves and others based on religion, race, economics, culture and the likes. Nothing makes us as blind as hate and while we stumble around blindly in the world our children learn from our prejudices, grow up and to fit into a society they refer to other civilisations in the same demeaning way they were taught by their parents.

I believe if we want to make a difference in Darfur it starts with us. Maybe the view you have of other people is distorted because of what you have in your eye? We live in an exciting new era where every person in this world now has a voice due to the internet. In the past if a society was wronged they had to rely on the media to get their stories out, but now every single person can get his or her story out on his or her own terms. Make no mistake; this is the future and many unjust governments will topple.

So I would like to thank all those who have made an effort to visit my website and I would like to thank those who are openly challenging the issues that are unjust in the world today and especially those who challenge the situation in Darfur.

More than 60 million people in the world now have blogs. If you are reading this, you are witnessing an international revolution.

5 comments:

Sweet said...

You're very right. Your blog is making a difference. I've been reading it regularly for a few weeks now, and it's truly amazing how I can be brought into your daily world from my office in the States, instead of just hearing a small canned blip about it on the news. Keep up the good work.

Werner K said...

Thank you for the kind words, sweet.

RL said...

Hi

I like to exchange blog link with you

If agreeable , pls add a link to my blog and let me know

I’ll reciprocate

Rgds
RL
My Lounge
http://thestamfordraffles.blogspot.com
stamfordraffles@gmail.com

RobC said...

Werner, thanks for what you guys in uniform are doing. It is not always appreciated nor will the world ever realise that no one appreciates the situation like the soldier on the ground. Like you say, now everyone has a voice. let us hope that the world heeds the voice of reason.

freefun0616 said...

酒店經紀菲梵, 酒店經紀~free fun~, 酒店經紀, 酒店經紀, 酒店上班, 酒店上班, 酒店小姐, 酒店小姐, 酒店工作, 酒店工作, 酒店打工, 酒店打工, 酒店兼差, 酒店兼差, 酒店兼職, 酒店兼職, 經紀人, 經紀人, 禮服店, 禮服店, 便服店, 便服店,